Monday, February 22, 2010

For Such a Time as This

We are beginning preparations for girls camp and I love girls camp. I am looking forward to being able to go again this year. I went to a stake meeting where they introduced the theme, and then our ward camp director came in to talk to the girls today and I heard the theme again and it really touched me. It touches me because, I can see the wisdom and inspiration and the application for each of those special young women. They had all just experienced the importance of the principle yesterday at a funeral.

Our theme is going to be:  for such a time as this, taken from the talk that Pres. Monson gave at the YW broadcast last year. "Again, my dear young sisters, although there have always been challenges in the world, many of those which you face are unique to this time. But you are some of our Heavenly Father's strongest children and He has saved you to come to the earth "for such a time as this." With His help, you will have the courage to face whatever comes. Though the world may at times appear dark, you have the light of the gospel, which will be as a beacon to guide your way.

My earnest prayer is that you will have the courage required to refrain from judging others, the courage to be chaste and virtuous, and the courage to stand firm for truth and righteousness. as you do so, you will be "an example of the believers," and your life will be filled with love and peace and joy. May this be so, my beloved young sisters, I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior, amen."

So, my heart cries out "I whole-heartedly support this theme!". I believe it is an important principle that will sustain the YW through difficult, threatening times, if they will listen as the Spirit teaches and bears witness to them of its truth.

Sister Larsen, our past YW president, taught this principle through her own testimony that she so sweetly bore at her baby daughter's funeral yesterday.  We, as the YW, sang "Abide With Me" for the service, so there were many of our YW present to witness the strength that she spoke of, that peace and even joy that she has found by relying on the Savior. He will be there in all situations-from feeling like you don't fit in to dealing with the loss of a loved one.  She isn't their yw leader anymore, but once again she taught the girls through her words, but most importantly through her actions, as they could see her sorrow, yet also see how she has been able to bear with courage and with faith, the passing of her sweet baby. She testified of the Father's plan and the worth of passing through difficult trials, and the peace that comes only through the Savior, Jesus Christ. Her example, her testimony was powerful and sweet.

And I was taught as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment