Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Golden

We celebrated my parents 50th wedding anniversary August 27, 2010. They are still serving their mission here in Tucson, so we held the festivities here. All said and done it turned out fine, actually it turned out great! There are things I would do different and things I would do the same. But they loved it and that was really the point--to make them happy. I had to keep reminding myself of that during the planning process. This was one of the hardest things I have ever undertaken and when I would get discouraged Kelly would remind me that I was doing it because it was the right thing to do. I didn't want to do it in the first place, then it was really difficult to get all of my brothers and sisters and in-laws ideas, communication was pretty much a nightmare--the distance, summer vacations. Just the timing of the whole thing, having to try to work all the party stuff out when the relationships are strained was difficult. I have no regrets-because I did my very best. I am proud of myself for doing something hard, because it was right. I am proud of how it turned out.

And that night, it all came together. Even if it was just for those few hours, we came together as a family. We just partied and celebrated my parents golden anniversary.

The celebration we planned was to have just a blow-out party! Where we danced, visited, ate some yummy food and just hadIMG_7742-55 a blast! We tried to keep as much of it a secret as we could from mom and dad. We invited friends and family from far and near and had a great turnout. Jeanene Malan came and so did the Peterson's from Utah and then many of their friends from here in Tucson and San Manuel.

We had mom and dad picked up from their suite at the Ritz Carlton in a Limo! I wanted so badly to see her face when she saw that car, but we just couldn't work it out. It was fun to have them arrive at the party in the limo, too. The kids were so excited and just darling. They formed a tunnel for them to walk through.

Here is a great shot of all of us when they arrived at the party.IMG_7688-24

IMG_7723-43We started the evening off with mom and dad telling their story and then dancing to their song: "The Twelfth of Never". I love Karsyn and Camille in the background of this picture of mom and dad, they are so sweet watching them dance. Our family likes to dance, but also mom and dad did a lot of dancing while they dated and throughout their years together, so we thought that would be a perfect way to spend the night. In between dancing we planned some entertainment. Chris and Alexis sang, Jordan and Skyler and some of the other grandgirls sang, we played a scavenger hunt game and we also had some trivia about their 50 years together.

Here are a few pictures of the decorations

No comments:

Post a Comment