Friday, September 17, 2010

A Matter of Choice

I participated in a discussion about making wise choices with my YW. We followed up with an activity to make some bulletin boards where the girls could put pictures or quotes of things that reminded them to continue to make good choices. I made a tag for them to put on their boards.choices tag_edited-1 I have thought how true and how important that statement is: EVERY Choice Matters.

Everyday there are so many choices. Some of the choices are made over and over each and every day. One of those choices for me, is to choose to think about positive things and not get bogged down in worries.

One of the choices I make to help me, is to choose to study the scriptures and the living prophets everyday. And today I read some things that help me to stay focused on the positive. It came from this talk in the April 2010 General Conference. The whole talk is great, and I underlined so much of it--but I will just share these two highlights: There is no failure except in giving up. It is never too early or too late to begin. And: May I add, don’t look at today’s trials as eternal. Heavenly Father does His work in the long term. “There is much which lieth in futurity,” the Prophet Joseph Smith said. “Therefore, . . . let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed” (D&C 123:15, 17).

Then I read this on a blog today: From author C.S. Lewis, “Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what he is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised.
“But presently he starts knocking the house that in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is he up to? The explanation is that he is building quite a different house from the one you thought of-throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards.
“You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but he is building up a palace. He intends to come and live in it himself.”

I know that my Father in Heaven and Christ can make more out of me and my life than if I try to do it alone. But that doesn't come naturally to me.One of the most important choices I need to make everyday is to let His arm be revealed, to not fight growth.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how good and true this is! Thanks for sharing these thoughts, I understand the last few lines sow well.

    My question is and seems to always be, why doesn't it come more naturally when every experience with His guidance teaches that it is a good and will always be a good thing in our lives. so hard to understand, know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete