Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I love to do lists…

especially if they come from the scriptures or the conference issue of the Ensign!

Reading in Alma used to be the “dreaded book” for me when I read the Book Of Mormon. It was so long, it seemed like it took forever to feel like you were getting somewhere…I don’t really know why anymore because I love Alma. The stories of Alma the younger, then all of those great missionary experiences and finally the strategies used in the war chapters are so interesting and inspiring. This time through as I have been reading the final chapters and studying those strategies I have been trying to figure out an analogy for my life. I haven’t been successful in that so much, but I can see how their faith and obedience is a good example of how to conduct yourself so that God can bless you with the strength to endure and even with deliverance. I know that is a recurring theme with me, but it is what I need. This year had been a difficult; one where I have needed strength and longed for deliverance. I feel weary, but I am determined to be obedient, faithful and rely on the arm of the Lord.

A few days ago I read this talk from Elder James B. Martino of the Seventy and it seemed to fit so well with the chapters I have been reading. One of the principles he teaches is that our Father in Heaven loves us completely and perfectly. With that love He permits us to have experiences that will allow us to develop the traits and attributes we need to become more like our Savior. He says” we may never know in this life why we face what we do, but we can feel confident that we can grow from the experience.” We CAN grow from the experience. I think it is completely up to us whether we grow or not.

Another statement that I loved (it really touched me and stuck with me): “To some, our trials may not seem great, but to each of us who are passing through these experiences, the trials are real and require us to humble ourselves before God and learn from Him.” I found comfort in those words and I also recognized them as one of the lessons I have learned from this past year.

As I read Helaman’s account in Alma chapter 58, he does that exact thing. They are worried about the city of Manti and how to reclaim it and they are weak and need provisions so they humble themselves and “pour out our souls” to God. And they received assurances from the Lord that He would deliver them, He spoke peace to their souls and granted them faith. Through that experience they found the strength that they needed. And by the end of the chapter they are successful in what they needed to do and recognize the Lord’s hand in their lives. They have become more faithful and more obedient.

Elder Martino gives five examples from the Saviors life as lessons we need to be able to use our trials to become what the Lord intends. 1. Seek to do only the Lord’s will 2. Learn to not complain or murmur 3. Seek greater help from God 4. Learn to serve and think of others and 5. Forgive and do not pass blame.

So that is my to do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment