Monday, March 7, 2011

Taking Soil Samples

My thoughts are full of my youngest girl and my heart  has a constant prayer…

i-can-do-do-hard-things-web

And I have been pondering on my reading today. I can see the wisdom in the Lord focusing on the soil in the parable of the sower. Sometimes we have to follow Alma’s advice and test the seed, but the variable of the soil makes all the difference in how true that test is. They compliment each other really. In this case we know the seed is good, so we get  a chance to evaluate the soil. I know from personal experience that good soil takes some effort. It is hard work to sift out the rocks and takes constant vigilance to  keep the thorns, or weeds, away.  And there is timing.  You can’t wait till the last minute to prepare the soil. What if the time comes to plant but there is no time, or no way, to prepare the soil because a storm is raging?

It brings to mind pictures of my garden-one week looked like this…our garden-e

and the next week-it looked like this!2011 03 07_0003_edited-1

It was helpful for me to read and evaluate the status of my soil. I am probably most guilty of letting those cares of the world, those nasty thorns, start to choke out things like hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment