Friday, November 12, 2010

Thankful Day 12

My little corner of the world. That is what my husband calls it. I am embarrassed to show it so messy, but honestly this is usually how it looks most of the time. Don't judge me! It does get cleaned up. I always put stuff away when I am done with a project, it is just that I usually have more than one going on. I use this space in every aspect of my life-personal, family, friends and for my calling. All the things I love, for the people I love. I am so grateful to have this space and yes, I know I am spoiled. Thanks Kelly! Here are some close up shots that really tell the story. There is scrapbooking, reading, lists, card making, gift giving, shoving Kelly off of his side of the desk. And then there is the computer side--digi-scrap, Photoshop, bills, journaling, more lists, piles of "to do's", camera and phone. day 12

P1040238 P1040239

In reading today, it was a bit harder to find something I learned. As I sat pondering, I re-read several times the principles that Jesus taught. I didn't learn anything new but I got some things sorted out better in my mind and I think that counts. Jesus mentions the gate and the way that leads to life as being strait and narrow, and that the way to the world is just the opposite broad and wide, making it hard to find the "right" way. He says there are few that find it. He also talks about beams and motes, the golden rule, judging, a tree's fruit, foundations and asking and as I wrote my notes I separated them as individual principles. I think sometimes we see so many things that way, so many things we have to do to be worthy. Then I read Elder Hollands talk from conference and sat and pondered about what I learned today. That was when I saw all those individual principles become descriptions of the same one, or maybe two. I thought of this same scene in the "old world" instead of the new one, and Jesus states that the first great commandment is to love God, then the second is to love others. Those seem like two, except that when we love others we show our love to God, so that is how they become one. With that thought, I saw how the foundation built upon Jesus, the wise man, is loving God and wanting to do His will, that is the only thing that fits through the narrow gate. If we try to take other "loves" we don't fit through. His will is that we love others, serve them and help each other stay on that narrow path back to Him. When God is first and others are second, we are simply more obedient, less likely to wander off the path.

It puts everything in the proper perspective, including judging others. Jesus taught that we have to be careful in how we judge others, because whatever measure we use is the same measure we will be judged by. Elder Holland stated that each one of us is loved and important to our Heavenly Father. I am important. I am worth it-the plan of salvation. If that is true, than those around me are worth it as well. Judging can be a selfish behavior if we are putting ourselves first, and most of the time it is. That is the beam and the mote kind of judging. But there is also the "fruit of the tree" and the sheep's clothing kind of judging. I have felt the difference. When I am I am motivated by love-the first and second commandment, not concerned about making myself appear better, I can judge the "fruit" of the tree and steer clear of wolves. But talk about a narrow path! The key is to remember the worth of every soul. That kind of judging leads to asking God to direct you on how to help, how to lift, how to give His gift of love. You can know by your own fruits if you are on the right path. The love of God and others will motivate to be better and do better. As Elder Holland stated, more "kind and charitable"--not concerned about beams and motes.

No comments:

Post a Comment