Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Baking Bread

I am back to making bread for my family. I used to do it quite regularly, I had a recipe that was a sourdough starter and so you had to feed it regularly and make it regularly. It made too much for my family, but it was fun to share it. When my mom and dad came to live with us, they would buy bread and then it would be time to make bread and pretty soon we were overrun with bread so I stopped and let my start die. That sounds so sad doesn't it? But is just sounds worse on "paper" because it was no big deal. After a while I didn't even miss it. It was actually nice not to be on such a strict schedule with that starter. Although, it is a great recipe for food storage, and I may go back to it again.

For the last couple of months I would make bread now and again when I felt that homemaking, cozy home feeling that only baking could fill and if there was time for bread. I could bake bread or cobbler or sometimes cookies-whatever fit for the day. And then I found this recipe http://life-should-be-delicious.blogspot.com/2010/01/basic-white-bread.html and making bread has become a "need" again. No pun intended! This bread must be made...and eaten.bread

Look at those huge loaves. I might try splitting it into three sections next time and maybe start sharing again. I have to let my family get used to having homemade bread around again first because right now we eat every crumb.

PS  I started adding some wheat flour and so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment